Thursday, May 20, 2010

Absolute Truth

I am reading Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture by Mary E. DeMuth. I have just made it to chapter seven; so far I find it thought provoking, encouraging, and challenging.
As I read on I am continually drawn back to a particular paragraph in chapter five. I wish to share this paragraph with you:

I consider myself part of the emerging culture--a postmodern-- but I am uncomfortable with some of the emergent ramblings about absolute truth. I understand that humanity comprehends truth through the filter of culture, but I can't let go of the fact that truth-- in it's purest, God-breathed form-- exists and should be highly valued. The God of Truth founded this world in which we breathe.
Jesus, God's Son, said He is Truth, that if you looked directly at Him, you'd see truth with skin on. He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). Jesus is truth personified. And He, along with the Father and the Holy Spirit, created the earth. The apostle Paul leaves no wiggle room when he writes, "For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:16-17).
Jesus, the Truth, holds all things together. The world spins on its axis for Him. The world spins on its axis because of Him. We walk this earth for Him. We walk this earth because of Him. All of life boils down to Him, our central Truth.

OK. It's not one but three paragraphs :)

As we live in this Postmodern culture where we are each entitled to our everything- particularly beliefs and opinions, I am thankful that there are others who know that there is Absolute Truth: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment