Friday, April 23, 2010

From "Me" to "We"

I was listening to a book on CD and it said that Fred Rogers often spoke of himself as "we". The speaker, his wife, felt that he wanted everyone to feel a part of the goings on. That no one should feel excluded, but rather included.
Interesting food for thought there. I began to wonder what difference would it make in my life if I too began to exchange "I" for "we".
I think of Philippians 2:3,4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Hmmm... as I begin to speak of 'me' as 'we' I am choosing to align the outward behavior with the inner truth. There is never really a 'me' or an 'I'... well, there shouldn't be. John 15:5 tells me that apart from Him I can do nothing, and I know beyond the shadow of a doubt just how true that is. And back to Philippians, as I become 'we' it is a choice that reflects my desire to live out the truth of those scriptures. I must think of Him and others... how every decision, every action, every word is a reflection of Him and directly impacts those around me.
I can hear Steven Curtis Chapman singing, "Heart's Cry":

This is my heart's cry
I want to know the One who saved me
And gave me life.
This is my heart's cry
To be so close to Him that all my life
Becomes a testimony of
My Saviours grace and love.
This is my heart's cry.

This is my hearts cry
Much more that just a great desire,
It's like a fire in me.
I hear my heart cry
Each time I think about the cross where Jesus died
the cross would have been mine
But His love rose through time
And heard my heart's cry - He heard my heart's cry.

Now every other hope and dream is lost
Inside of this one thing
I know the One who died for me
And lived my life
For Jesus Christ is my heart's cry.

So let my life become
A testimony of
My Saviours grace and love.
This is my heart's cry
To stand before the fire
And one day and hear Him say well done
This is my heart's cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment