Friday, April 23, 2010

Love Dare 12

I think I've mentioned that I am working through the Love Dare... this is week 12 (it's one per week rather than one a day for me :). This morning I re-read the Love Dare and amazingly enough something new grabbed my heart.

"Instead of treating your [husband] like an enemy or someone to be guarded against, start by treating them as your closest, most honored friend." Sigh...
There are times when my actions do not express my heart. He knows I love him, He knows I honor him. These things we know are true, but sometimes there is less evidence of those truths. Yes, of course - Sadly, that goes both ways. We have those days where we say "I love you," but we don't live love loudly...
Whenever we are experiencing a day where his actions don't speak of the truth in his heart I tend to "guard" myself against him. You know, protect myself... I mean who wants to be hurt, right?! So, I set up the guard post, build a couple of retainer walls and then wonder why it's taking so long for things to be as they should...
Here I am reminded that I must continue to treat him as "my closest, most honored friend." Sigh, again.
Love seeks unity; and it also gives space when needed. However, as space is given love waits expectantly for any sign that there is an ivitation to re-engage and then it runs with open arms to embrace the beloved... it's not busily building a new bunker to hide in...

The truth sets me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment