Friday, April 30, 2010

Ephesians 5:1-2

Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that. The Message

His love was not cautious but extravagant...

The NIV says: Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

My personal read this morning was from NKJV: Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

I started thinking how many times I've prayed to be strengthened to walk in love... how many times I have said I will walk in love... walk in love it seems to roll off of my tongue so easily...
This morning when I read it I suddenly realized, or perhaps remembered that to walk in love actually means the rest of the verse: as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma... His love was not cautious but extragavant. Oh, to love extragavantly. Knowing that I am safe in His love, free to truly love others in a such a manner because He loves me.

The message goes on: He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
I am free to love as Christ loves because I do not need to get something from others because all that I need, all that I want, all is in Him, all is Him... He is my All in all.
And I must remember this walk of love is to His glory- as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Funny, I hear Steven singing again this morning: This is my heart's cry...

No comments:

Post a Comment