Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hans Hofmann (March 21, 1880 – February 17, 1966)

In 2002 my nearest and dearest and I rented a video, A Walk to Remember (an adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel by the same name). In the movie the lead female gave her beau the gift of a collection of 'sayings' her mother had kept. I remember there was a Dolly Parton quote, something along the lines of 'find out what you love and do it' and then there was the young woman's favorite entry, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a. I enjoyed the moment in the movie and I liked the idea, so now I have my own compilation of favorite 'sayings'.

Last night as I was thumbing through my handwritten 'quotable quotes' I came across an entry from January 2006:

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak" - Hans Hoffman

I wish that I had listed the source, I have no idea where I read it nor do I remember the context. So, this morning I Googled Hans Hoffman.
Hans Hofmann was an abstract artist who is most known for developing a technique he called “push and pull,” Hofmann proved that the illusion of space, depth, and even movement on a canvas could be created abstractly using color and shape, rather than representational forms. http://www.pbs.org/hanshofmann/push_and_pull_001.html

Having read this I have concluded that Hans Hoffman was most likely speaking of art. However, I do remember that when I scratched it in my book I was thinking of Him alone. Even still when I read it my heart is turned towards my Father God.

What is it to simplify? What's the unnecessary in our lives?

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us
Hebrews 12:1
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  Matthew 11:29, 30
May we eliminate the unnecessary so that He may speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment