Wednesday, October 20, 2010

i pray

Father God,
i thank you for You. for Your Holy Spirit. for Your Sacred echo (echoing all around)

Monday it was in these words:
a God that loves her so well she cannot mistake it
today it has been heard here

and so i write:

we were going to run an errand together.
she said she needed to do a couple of things before we left
and then
              she said
       that i
                 needed to do a couple of things before we left - -

   go and style my hair nicely and put on some make up.

(hmmm)
what do i do with that?

there was only one thing to do.
all praise to Him
He was and He is my strength
and (praise Him)
i gave it to Him
     laid it at His feet.
        then i smiled gently at her.

ten minutes later, just me and Him in the bathroom
i looked in the mirror
well?
my flesh wants to leave me as is
(how quickly i go from Him to me - ugh)
i reach for the make-up...
is this people pleasing?
Father, what does this look like where You are glorified?
  (thank you for the question)

       Why do you think she said that to you?

i think...
she said it because she can be embarrased by my appearance.
                because she values a particular appearance.
                because she feels better being with me when i look a certain way.
i think...
she said it because of her - not because of me.


i know who You are and
i know i am Yours.
thank you, Father.
Your grace, Your mercy
thank you.

i fix my hair,
put on more make up.

i whisper: thank you, Father.
i pray for her to know His unconditional love
i pray for her to find His Truth
                     to have identity in Him alone
i pray for her to see that it is Him alone who can make us beautiful,
                     to see that we are valueable because of Him,
                     to see that our worth is found in Him alone.
i pray that i keep my eyes on Him alone.

i pray.

~ ~ ~

i praise Him.
this morning i was learning from this teaching (week 5)
nine-year-old girl-love came downstairs, wrapped in her blankie
she snuggled on the sofa beside me, we watched together
read over the notes together
watched Dove's evolution together.

she thinks it is kind of silly that people fall into an appearance trap
she doesn't get it.
all praise to our Father.
girl-love knows the truth because she knows Truth.
i pray she always remember the difference between self-esteem and self-worth.
i pray she always remains here with Him.


i pray.


linking with Emily

11 comments:

  1. dang. nice write..incredible flow and great message...i pray that. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I felt the pain in your words when she said that. How awful that must have felt! And what a great heart you are to be able to respond with grace. This story inspires me to more - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought provoking post...
    Thanks for your encouragement at my place.
    Elizabeth
    http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this experience happened to you. We are all better for it as we enter into the sting with you and watch your reflection in the mirror reach for the face paint.... as you applied the mask, you covered yourself in grace.

    Funny how that would be so anti-Dove campaign and yet in this instance that is what grace looked like... a painted face and neatly combed hair.

    Once again, there is no formula, is there my friend?

    More than anything I love this...


    "i think...
    she said it because of her - not because of me."

    I used to know a girl who wouldn't have known that.

    I'm pretty sure you are getting more gorgeous with each passing year. I know I could be accused of bias on this one, but seriously, I'm pretty sure I'm spot on in saying that. I don't pretend to understand the science behind beauty, but conventional wisdom (whatever that is) says beauty is inverse to age.
    So maybe I wonder what the science of beauty does with the injection of Jesus. Maybe that's why you look so good.

    Maybe your just looking more and more like Him....

    OK, I'll stop embarrassing you now. My thinking out loud session is over and to your prayer, I simply say...

    Amen.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sister... how my heart aches over the appearance trap... and how i fall, trapped, into it, some days... i don't understand why we're so quick to want to erase wrinkles; i love my crow's feet :) and i think you're absolutely beautiful... your soul sings in this, and glory is given. truth is taught. a perfect post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (thank you for your kindness dear friends. thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sister, thank you for sharing your heart and sharing the Truth. What a blessing to see His grace in action through you and for you! You are radiant! Girl love has a great example in how her mommy loves Jesus and loves others. She shines too! Love you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. The appearance thing is so interesting. Of course, you are absolutely right in everything you have said here, which is absolutely beautiful. After spending many years in cultures which value appearances a great deal, but also in a different way, I've learned to make the dressing-up into an act of worship, a gift for God, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I've learned to make the dressing-up into an act of worship, a gift for God, as well."

    yes! i have heard this from a handful of other women as well. it is lovely when your worth is not tied into your appearance but rather your appearance is truly an act of worship - - as it should be - - :) all to His honor & glory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kara,

    I used to know a girl who wouldn't have known that. (thank you. i am humbled that you know this, you know me... i still have so far to grow with Him, but His grace, love, and mercy have grown me to here :)

    I'm pretty sure you are getting more gorgeous with each passing year. I know I could be accused of bias on this one (i am blushing a wonderful shade of embarrased red. and yes, you are crazily biased! how blessed i am to be loved by you, dear Jonathan/David friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i resonated with your words! i've had that happen as well, mostly with my sister, but also with some friends. last year when i was doing beth moore's breaking free study, something interesting and unexpected happened. i started feeling beautiful and out of that started putting more care into my appearance mostly because i felt that i could. i didn't feel hopeless anymore. now, i dress up when i want to, but feel free to walk to school with my hair unbrushed. it's all about relationship, especially having the most important one right. thank you for your beautiful, honest thoughts.

    ReplyDelete